Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Letter of Tribute to My Mother

Another year is almost over and past!  It seems incredible that you and I have survived and shared so much within the short time we have spent upon this earth!  It is for certain that some of the times have been very rough but there are still good times that I want to remember!

I remember a Mother who sacrificed dearly for her offspring.  I remember a Mother who fought for and would have given her life for her children--I think in many respects she did give her life for her children!! 

I remember a Mother who, at times in the mornings, had to tell her children that there was nothing to eat and that they should go ahead to school, but not worry, for she would have food for us when we come home!  I remember a Mother who would not eat a meal herself unless her children could eat first!

I remember a Mother who did not have decent clothes to wear who attended one of my varsity basketball games in the dead of winter wearing an old tweed coat, with no lining, held together with an array of safety pins! While ignoring the icy stares of the more fortunate who surrounded her, she sat in the bleachers with a pose of royalty and dignity proudly cheering for me!  I remember a Mother who would support and encourage myself and the other nine children in all they would do or endeavor to do! 

I remember a Mother who cried her eyes out when I went into the armed services and equally cried her eyes out upon my return three years later!

I remember a Mother who repeatedly was told by relatives and others that if she continued having so many children she would surely die at a young age!  Those who offered this kindly advice have since passed on.  The only person remaining is My Mother of ninety years who gave me life and taught me how to dream, work hard and never give up!  I owe so much to my Mother, “A Queen”!!


No comments:

Post a Comment